I believe life is about creating opportunities to gather experience. I’ve spent the last six months creating this opportunity. I organised:
- my U.S. citizenship and passport;
- a one way plane ticket;
- my social security number;
- a place to live (with relatives);
- a Christmas and New Year holiday in Canada; and
- conditions which will force me to make it work.
My decision to move the United States was driven by:
- the accessibility of citizenship;
- the imperative need to cultivate that citizenship;
- having relatives who could accommodate me; and
- a romanticised view of the United States.
Things that I will keep as a part of my identity:
- martial arts training;
- my love affair with Japan;
- a clean lifestyle;
- intellectual study; and
- my commitment to the pursuit of happiness.
What I’m concerned about:
- finding employment;
- cultural and social alienation;
- getting fat from all the candy;
- getting caught up in things which don’t really suit me; and
- being too Australian.
In less than forty-eight hours I’ll be Stateside.